5 Exercises To Do While Watching Tv
Do you feel like there’s never any time in the day to exercise?
Unless you’re an early riser, it can be hard to squeeze in a run or gym session before work. And for many, locking yourself into a gym membership is simply too expensive.
If you’re pressed for time, and spare cash, consider working out at home. These five exercises will tone and tighten your muscles. Best of all, you can do them while watching tv.
And if you’re worried about missing your favourite show, don’t be. You can use the commercial breaks to slot in each exercise. By the end of one episode, you’ll have completed a full-body workout.
But first, consider purchasing a yoga matt and resistance bands. As an optional extra, you can also invest in light weights. It’s up to you.
Before attempting any of the below exercises, we advise that you’d first get clearance from your doctor, physiotherapist or biokinetic to perform such.
Step 1: Stretch first
Despite being on the go all day, you need to warm up tight muscles. If you don’t, injuries can occur, which will only set you back. Stretching is a great way to loosen up.
- Let’s begin with your hamstrings. Lie on your back, lift your left leg, placing one hand behind your knee and the other around your ankle, and gently pull your leg towards your chest. Stop when you feel it pull tight. Hold for 30 seconds before switching to the other leg and repeat 3 times.
- Now, we’re going to stretch your hip flexors and thigh muscles. Stand up, facing your tv, and place your right foot on the couch behind you while keeping your knees together. You should feel a burn in your thigh muscles. Hold for 30 seconds before switching to the other leg and repeat 3 times.
- Next, we’ll loosen up your arm muscles. Pull your right arm across your chest, using your left arm to hold it in place. You should feel it stretch in your triceps and shoulder. Hold for 30 seconds before switching arms. Repeat the exercise 3 times.
- Lastly, to get your blood pumping try jumping jacks or jogging on the spot. You want to do this for the length of at least one 30 second commercial. Repeat the exercise 3 times.
You’re now ready to take it up a level.
Step 2: Lunge your way to toned thighs and butt
Lunges are great for building strong glutes and sexy thighs, but that’s not all. They also strengthen your core, which is vital for stability and can help ease lower back pain and improve your posture.
Here’s how to lunge properly
- Standing in an upright position, step forward with your right leg lowering your hips until both legs are bent at a 90-degree angle. Be careful not to extend your knee beyond the toes and make sure it faces outwards.
- The left knee shouldn’t touch the ground.
- Keeping your body weight on your heels, push up into a neutral position before lunging again with the left leg.
- Repeat this for the duration of the commercial break.
You might also want to consider adding in a chair squat
- Place a resistance band above your knees.
- Stand in a neutral position, with your legs hip-width apart before slowly lowering your glutes towards the chair, almost as if you’re going to sit down.
- Keep your arms stretched out in front of you and shift your weight through the balls of your feet.
- Hold for 10 seconds.
- Return to a standing positing and repeat 10 times.
Step 3: Try the plank to tighten your core
You use your core to power your body throughout the day. Whether you’re sitting at your desk, reaching into your cupboard for your shoes, or watching tv, your core is working hard. That’s why you need to keep it strong.
But you don’t have to do hundreds of crunches. A basic plank will suffice. Here’s how.
- Lie face down on your yoga mat.
- Place your forearms in front of you and your elbows directly under your shoulders. As if you’re going to do a push up.
- Tighten your ab muscles, drawing your navel in towards your spine and lift. Beginners can lift onto their forearms. The more advanced can lift into a push up, keeping arms straight.
- Your torso and body should be completely straight, and your heels should be over the balls of your feet.
- Whatever you do, don’t let your buttocks droop.
- Hold this position for 10 seconds before lowering to the ground.
- Repeat for the duration of the commercial.
As you become stronger, you may want to hold the plank for anywhere between 30 and 60 seconds. A stabile core is essential, so be sure to plank at least every other night.
Step 4: Strengthen your arms with triceps dips
While the plank will strengthen your arms, triceps dips are excellent for toning and defining your upper arms. You’ll notice slight changes to your chest and shoulders, and best of all, you’ll feel stronger. Here’s how to do it.
- Sit on your couch or a chair and face your tv.
- Place the palms of your hands either side of you and shift your buttocks off the seat.
- Your legs should be stretched out in front of you with your heels on the ground.
- Slowly lower yourself towards the ground until your arms are bent at a 45-degree angle, keeping your back parallel to the couch. As you get stronger, you can bend your arms to a 90-degree angle.
- Push back up. That completes one rep. Now repeat for the duration of the commercial or until your arms begin to burn.
If you initially struggle with this exercise, start with bent knees. This can help to take some of the weight off your triceps.
Step 5: Get sexy calves by trying these calf raises
Lastly, strong calves are necessary to ward off shin splints, tendonitis, sore hamstrings and hips. So to keep yours in tip top shape, try this simple exercise.
- Stand behind the couch facing the television.
- Using the couch for balance, rise onto your toes, keeping your weight on your big toe.
- You should feel your calf muscles tighten. You might also notice that your glute automatically tightens.
- Hold this position for 10 seconds, then lower slowly to the ground.
- Repeat this exercise 20 times or until your muscles begin to burn.
Do what you can and build on it each week
And that’s it. You should be sweating and breathing a little heavier by the end of these exercises. Your muscles will be loose and well used, and within a few weeks you’ll start to see an improvement in your body. Just remember to start slowly. As you become stronger and more confident, you can always add reps.
Here’s to a stronger, fitter, and healthier you.